We had a very nice weekend. My parents, Grandma, and Uncle came to help us celebrate this special day. These four have especially played such an integral role i
n getting me here. The many years of dragging me to church and elbows to the side to pay attention must have paid off. I certainly would never have been able to get to this point without them, so it was a special blessing to walk across and get my diploma with them looking up from the crowd. We had a great time with them during the graduation festivities and the couple of lazy weekend days that followed. It was nice to sit outside and relax; we won't be able to do that many more days in the sultry St. Louis summer. We ate often, enjoyed a few games, and spent a morning at Grant's Farm.
And so now begins my lazy summer days. It is wonderfully strange to wake up with nothing to do and no deadlines to worry about. Each day is about me and Isaiah, hanging out and playing outside. For the next two months (apart from the occasional need to figure out housing and mortgage loans) I get to
be nothing but Daddy. This is awesome and I will be sure to soak up every minute of these next couple of months. Calie continues to work getting reading for the LCMS National Youth Gathering in New Orleans. She is our loving, humble, hard-working sugar-momma! I don't think she appreciates it when I tell her of my plans to do nothing and watch the weekdays blend together. She, more than either of us, is excited to be forever out of St. Louis--done with work and staying at home with our little guy. But bills need to be paid and her job lasts until the end of July so she continues to bring home the bacon. Of course, she has been amazing through this whole seminary endeavor and it goes without saying that I could not have done it without her. For my graduation gift, she gave me my first pastoral/ordination stole. She has been working on it for years and it is beautiful. She did such a great job, and having it made by her adds extra special meaning to it. The left side of the stole highlights our Triune God and the right side reminds me of the faithful ministry of Word and sacraments that I have been called into. We'll post a picture of it after ordination on June 13th (at my home congregation in New Jersey). Most guys get these albs as gifts, or as purchases from a catalog. Few wives take the time and have the talent and patience to do it themselves. I certainly look forward to wearing proudly in the future.
We now look forward to the next chapter of our lives, settling down and making our home somewhere in Sun Prairie, WI.
We now look forward to the next chapter of our lives, settling down and making our home somewhere in Sun Prairie, WI.
No comments:
Post a Comment