Monday, March 22, 2010

This is the Day the Lord has Made...

... I will rejoice and be glad in it!

Have you ever had a stretch in life where things were just good? We all have moments in life when we go through a rut or we are depressed and down in the dumps. But what about when things are hunky dory? What about when life is peachy kean? Give thanks in ALL circumstances... It is my guess that we seldom stop to thank God for the awesome goodness in our lives, "Give thanks to the Lord, our God and King, His Love Endures for Forever!"

I guess you could say I am in such a stretch right now. Granted I would much rather be up in Minnesota: (mid-summer) fishing, drinking a Mich Golden Light, watching the Twins and hanging out on the lake. Eric Church and Johnny Cash on the radio. Grumpy Old Men in the DVD when it starts to rain. But, all-in-all, life is good!

Last weekend, Calie and I spent some couple time together at a marriage retreat. We don't need to save our marriage or anything; I wanted to go to see if it would be a useful resource for me referring couples in pastoral counseling. What we personally gained was a real appreciation for the love and compatibility we have as a couple. No doubt, God had each of us in mind when He created us years and years ago. The joy, laughter, communication, fun, and intimacy (not in a gross way) that we share as a couple reminded us of how blessed we truly are to have each other. As I hear of friends with rocky relationships, it just makes me more grateful for the healthy, happy marriage Calie and I share. Bookend that retreat with some nice meals with Calie's parents who came down to babysit Isaiah and we had a great weekend.

Also this past week, Calie and I became proud Aunt and Uncle again to a precious baby niece, Reese. Congrats to Calie's sister Tressa and Drew! What a beautiful new miracle of God we have in our family. Unfortunately I can't look at too many pictures now because I'm not on Facebook during Lent but she is such a sweet, perfect little girl. We are so happy for them and Calie will be heading up to meet her in less than two weeks. Although, we do need a few new guys to join Isaiah in the mix. That's three girl cousins, with Megan and Mallory, and only one boy!

Anytime you see life born, or for that matter life taken away, it should make an impression, tug at your heart strings. It truly makes you appreciate the gift of life you have been given. A dear college friend of mine had a nephew pass away recently from cancer, not even six years of age. Such a sad story of life taken too soon, but yet God's grace and hope was present to comfort in the midst of grief. You can believe it made me squeeze Isaiah a little tighter. Hug him a little longer and pick him up a few extra times when he asked to get "bup" for a kiss or a conversation. He's currently on the upswing after battling a touch of pneumonia this past week. Your heart aches for them when they are sick, snot and drool flowing from their body. But you all the more hold them closer, love them harder, play longer, and thank God for the time you are given together.

Then there is seminary life. 36 days until Call Day; and though we do find ourselves getting anxious at times, more than anything we are ready to get out of here and get started and settled in somewhere else. Only 8 more weeks of classes. Softball intramurals have started, wahoo! Plus I have only three classes which meet only 2 days a week from 10:30-3:00 PM. By all accounts this is a pretty easy schedule and as a bonus these classes have actually been enjoyable and engaging for 2 weeks now. I don't think I've played a single game of FreeCell, Hearts, or searched the Internet!

That's just a quick synopsis. There are certainly a few other awesome newsworthy things going on right now but those blogs will come later. Until then rejoice in the day the Lord has made. It is my prayer that this Easter season will bring you all new hope, a renewed and joyful spirit, a grateful heart, and an unwavering faith in the resurrected Savior!

No comments: