Friday, November 7, 2008

We Got a House!

Yes it is true! Though Calie and I are only here for one year on vicarage, we took the plunge and got a house. It really is a beautiful home with a two-car garage. It is in a great neighborhood, has a lovely backyard with a 3-season patio, and enables us to do free laundry whenever we want! OK, truth be told...we are just house sitting. For the past week and a half, Calie and I have been house-sitting and dog-sitting for our pastor and his wife while they were away on some well-deserved vacation. And I have to say, the concept of having a home and not renting an apartment is awfully nice! Direct TV has been an added bonus too! Plus I think we've done about 20 loads of laundry (We were storing up for awhile, though I'm exaggerating a bit...I think). Our time here at the house ends today, so as I await the buzzer to go off on the dryer I thought I would take the time to blog. Even though I should be memorizing my sermon for Sunday and looking over my Bible study material. Oh well...

This past Wednesday, we celebrated 3 years of wedded bliss. We went out and had a nice dinner, after much indecisiveness as to where to eat. But as always, we had a nice evening together and capped it off with our local favorite ice-cream place. Because as "G" always says, 'there is always room for ice-cream'! Of course, to Calie these first years felt like forever! Just kidding, but she does think it seems a lot longer and when you consider our moves from Hudson to St. Louis, seminary, new jobs, and now a move from St. Louis to vicarage it's easy to see how jam-packed and full of change our first 3 years have been. Oh, and then there's the small measure of having a wife who is prego!

Well, as Calie last blogged about, we did purchase our stroller/car seat. It has since been delivered, assembled, and now just awaits our little bundle of joy. Everything is still going very well. Calie feels great while she continues to blossom. The baby pretty much moves and kicks non-stop! Currently, we have doctor's appointments every other week, but pretty soon it will be on a weekly basis. Last night we had our first Lamaze class; these will continue over the next two weeks. It's always nice to see a little bit of what we're in for. However, I did learn that Calie is a bit to ticklish to practice some of the relaxing techniques we tried. The time is quickly approaching! We'll soon have to put some finishing (and starting) touches on our extra bedroom which is excitedly becoming the baby's room. Thank you to everyone who has sent clothes, gifts, cards, and all that fun baby stuff! Honestly, right now it's all still in boxes, piles, or stuck in the corner so we'll have plenty to keep us busy in the next 48 days. Ready or not, here baby comes!

Other than that, things are going well. Vicarage continues to be a great learning experience for me. I love the church staff and all the congregation members. It has been a very good place for me to learn about different types/places of ministries, as well as affirm and fine-tune some of the gifts and passions God has given to me. Over the next month or so I'll have the opportunity to preach at some small rural churches. Also I will be able to lead worship and preach at an area LCMS church plant, very contemporary and full of young families. I also continue to try and figure out the art of ministry with our area college campuses. Campus ministry takes a special type of person and passion; I'm not sure if that's me or not yet but it has gotten me to move out of some of my comfort levels and try new things. Thanks to the inspiration of a good friend and classmate, my next project is trying to figure out how to record, create, and post weekly video devotionals on YouTube for my college students. This way a Gospel message and invitation to church is only a click away while they sit in their dorms and classrooms.

That's more than enough for now. So much to say, so little time. I always get too long-winded when I start rambling and blogging. Perhaps that just another affirmation that I'm going into the right vocation! God's richest blessings to you all...

No comments: