Just kidding, not quite Hawaii but Moorhead, MN. Far away from the beach but we could not be happier! We will be at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church in Moorhead, MN. A church of about 535 members and weekly attendance near 300. We have already heard very, very good things about our supervising pastor and his wife from numerous sources. That was our biggest request for our year of internship...a positive place to learn and grow.
The majority of my time will be spent doing campus ministry at the colleges in the surrounding Moorhead/Fargo, ND areas. I believe the two main colleges are the University of Minnesota at Moorhead and Concordia Moorhead. I will be spending about 75% of my time doing ministry at the colleges and 25% doing ministry in the parish. Hopefully, I will have plenty of opportunities to preach, teach, and learn from all the people of the parish. My time at the colleges seems to be to primarily just be present on the campuses. Incarnational ministry and relationships... I love it! Also I will be leading Bible studies and hopefully helping start and establish a weekly, evening worship service for college students. (Guess it's a good time to learn to play that ol' guitar!)
We don't have many other details beyond this as of right now. We have to wait awhile before we can work out the details of our living arrangements, job for Calie, and things like that. But again we are really, really excited. Plus we will be about 3 hours to family and friends--that's seven hours closer than where we are now. About 1.5 hours to a certain cabin on the lake. About 9 months of winter for snowmobiling, if not more! Oh, and I can't forget to mention that Calie is super excited to watch the MN Vikings year-round next football season!
So this was our fallout from Call Day 2008! No doubt God has blessed us, and all the future vicars with places to learn and grow. We are so happy to have a place to be excited about! Thank you to everyone for all their thoughts, prayers, and words of encouragement. God is good, Jesus is Lord, and remember that no matter where you are, you are in the mission field! Look out Moorhead, here come the Vera's!
2 comments:
9 months of winter is not all that much of an fib as much as I hate to say it... I hope your car starts well in the cold :) Anyways, I'm excited to have you both up here! We are actually part of a tri-college system, NDSU is about 5 miles away I believe! I'm excited, I hope MSUM is ready for your energy!
Hey Calie & Calie's husband. I am so happy for you guys. Of course, we would be happier if you were working your way east, but I am happy that you will be around Calie's family. It is good to have someone at least in driving distance. Close- but not too close!!. But really, glad that things will be moving closer to your goals. You know that we think about you guys all the time, and that we all pray for you. Mostly for you Calie- putting up with Steve...
And on a seperate note- watch out snowmobiling....neither one of you are that cordinated.
Love Jeffrey and Sarah's mom - lost my own name a LONGGG time ago.
Post a Comment